Bill of Rights for Wards and Protected Persons
The ward/protected person retains all rights not restricted by court order or specifically granted
to the guardian/conservator. These include but are not limited to:
- The right to treatment with dignity and respect.
- The right to protection from harm.
- The right to exercise control of aspects of life not delegated specifically by court order to
the guardian/conservator. The guardian/conservator shall not exceed the bounds of courtgranted
- The right to guardianship/conservatorship services suited to the ward/protected person's
conditions and needs.
- The right to privacy: bodily privacy, right to unimpeded, private, and uncensored
communication, and the right to visit with persons of the ward/protected person's choice.
- The right to procreate.
- The right to receive health care and medical treatment.
- The right to vote.
- The right to make a will. NOTE: Depending on the level of incapacity, the ward or
protected person may not retain this right.
- The right to have current and previously stated personal desires, medical treatment
statements, religious beliefs, preferences, and opinions given due consideration in decisions
made by the guardian or conservator.
- The right to petition the court for termination or modification of the guardianship/
- The right to be represented by an attorney at any time. NOTE: The guardian, the
conservator or the court may needs to authorize the retention of legal counsel by the
- The right to marry. NOTE: Court approval may be required, depending on the situation.
Source: MAGiC (Minnesota Association for Guardianship and Conservatorship)
Dated: September 2004
Senior Options Inc. Home Page
Health Care Directive /
Medical Assistance /
Memberships & Affiliations /
Industry Articles /
Meet Kim Tophen /
Q's & A's
Client Bill of Rights /
Community Resources /
Glossary of Terms /
Contact Senior Options Inc.
Disclaimer: Information provided is for information only and should not be considered as legal reference.
Senior Options, Inc.
PO Box 980
Brainerd, MN 56401-0980
Bonded and Insured